Before we jump into the meat and potatoes, I would like to share this one important principle: The strongest networks are built over a lifetime, through patient, generous, and authentic interaction.
Please note that joining a bunch of networking groups and associations doesn’t mean you are networking. Let’s get that clear. There is a difference between just going through the motions versus truly Networking.
True networking is based on BUILDING TRUST. How do we do this?
1) Keep your promise.
2) Do good work (quality versus quantity).
3) Make recommendations (endorse) for people you truly know.
4) Establish your credentials (experience).
Over the course of my career, I learned to ask for help. Yes. It’s no secret. Asking for help is a sign of intimacy and trust. It shows the confidence you have in the giver. Ask in clear, concise, and non demanding ways. This is part of the building process. Get rid of that pride, and ask for help if you need it. Now mind you… your net worth doesn’t truly show your success either. I’ve met numerous people with high net worth, but didn’t really have true connections (genuine friendships) in which they could really show themselves (the good, the bad, and the ugly). To me, the caliber of the people I interact with and have genuine relationships with… is my net worth. Why? Because when all hell breaks loose, and you lose everything you PERCEIVE to demonstrate success due to a stupid business decision or a natural disaster that you didn’t see coming, you can obtain it all again because of your connections. Trust me I know. Your genuine relationships will be there for you even during your worst times, and will help nurse you back to health. You can start over and do it all over again. Rebuilding something that you spent a lifetime earning and working for isn’t easy, especially when Hopelessness creeps in. But one thing is for sure, when you have the right people around you… they will ensure that YOU will do it again and will even help you do it BETTER and STRONGER. It is what I call the “Labor of Love.” If you don’t have this type of network, then I highly suggest you start now. It is never too late.
Here are a few tips that can help you Network the RIGHT way…
1) Remember your goal: Care and Help.
2) Be yourself. Don’t be fake (be authentic).
3) Start small. Develop skills with people you already know.
4) Make small talk. Ask lots of questions, plan ahead. Make sure they are RELEVANT. Don’t just talk to make noise.
5) Become a great listener. People remember those who listen to them and actually care about what they are talking about.
6) Take rejection well. Not everyone is a perfect fit for your network. We all have our own audience. There are plenty of fishes in the sea, the key is identifying which fish is yours.
- Add value
- Come prepared
- Treat People well
- Be transparent
- Do your homework
- Get out there
- Be cheesy
- Confuse efficiency with effectiveness
- Try too hard
- Talk about things you don’t know about
- Speak negatively
Hope that this short article was of help to you in this season. No matter what the storm of life may bring, just know that after all the dust settles, you will see the sun shining again. Keep your head up friends.. and Build your Net Worth by qualifying and strengthening your Network. Remember, it is not about the numbers, but the quality of the relationships you have.
To learn more about my Battle to Booming Programs, please visit our website at www.favorandwealth.com. Feel free call us at 1-855-732-8673 (7-FAVOR-3) or email me at email@example.com.
Empower Wholeness, Truth, and Freedom in the Marketplace by Helping the Good Guys Win in their business and life!